Spam and Viruses are a fact of life on the Internet today, and now comprise a majority of all email sent in the world. Preventing spam is everyone's responsibility, including email users and email providers. Here are some things you can do that will have a significant impact on the amount of spam you receive.
Ways You Can Combat Spam:
- Only give out your email address to friends, family, and trusted business partners if possible.
- Create a gmail or hotmail type account for giving out to shopping and other sites, when an email address is absolutely required.
- Avoid setting up "catchall" type accounts which funnel all undirected mail into a particular account. This is a huge target for spam.
- Avoid setting up email addresses that forward to multiple people (e.g. email@example.com).
- If possible, avoid using common prefixes on email addresses (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com).
- Make sure to uncheck yourself if given the option to "Sign up" to someone's mailing list.
- If at all possible, avoid or limit placing email addresses on your web page. Site scanning is a way that spammers harvest email addresses to put on their lists.
These suggestions work particularly well if you have a newer email addresses that receives very little spam to begin with. Unfortunately, once your email address is a target for spam, these options may only prevent further worsening the problem, but won't make it any better. For accounts like these, Beanbasket offers a comprehensive spam and virus solution, described in more detail below.
How Beanbasket Combats Spam:
Beanbasket has spam blacklist filters in place for all of our email customers, not just the ones who have signed up for our spam & filtering solution. These filters consult public blacklists to determine if the email's source is a known spammer and will reject those messages before they even enter our server. This method cuts out at least 90% of would-be spam for all our email customers.
Still, some spam will get through even with blacklist checking in place. To deal with these remaining spam messages, Beanbasket offers a specialized Spam and Virus filter that can learn what you consider spam and legitimate mail, and automatically prefix the subject line or place it into a particular folder. You gain the ability to specifically allow or disallow mail from particular addresses, and help train the filter to better detect spam it doesn't catch. The filter is capable of regularly catching 95% of spam, scams, and viruses and up to 99% when well trained. This filtering service is available for $2 per month per email account.
For information on how to manage your existing spam and virus filtering setup, please visit the page below.
Spam and Virus Filter Setup
To sign up for Spam and Virus Filtering, please contact us here. If possible, please let us know if you will be using the POP3 or IMAP protocol to check your email.